1. Road Development
Road development has begun since the reclamation of Gin Drinker’s Bay in the late 1960s. Additional district development projects, namely Kwai Chung Container Terminals and Tsuen Wan New Town Development, have also been initiated during the 1970s. This has led to rapid and intensive road development across at various levels from the 70s to 80s.
1.1 Road connections
Kwai Chung is the transport hub of Hong Kong, with major connections to all districts.
1.2 Road Hierarchy
Roads in Hong Kong follow a certain hierarchy. From the greatest scale: Expressway, Trunk Road, Primary Road (District Distributor Road), Local Distributor Roads
As such, Kwai Chung is one of the districts with the greatest number of Expressways / Trunk Roads.
1.3 Future projects
Tuen Mun – Chek Lap Kok Link is a project to be completed by 2020. An ease in traffic may be observed in Kwai Chung soon after.
2.1 Vehicle demographics
Kwai Chung supports a large number of logistics due to the container terminal and industrial buildings. A large proportion of vehicles in Kwai Chung are light and heavy trucks.
9% of goods vehicles (Trucks) originate and destinate at Kwai Chung.
3. Traffic Congestion
4. Car Accidents
opportunities and constraints
- Civil Engineering and Development Department (2015). Environmental Impact Assessment Report: Flyover from Kwai Tsing Interchange Upramp to Kwai Chung Road. Retrieved from: https://www.epd.gov.hk/eia/register/report/eiareport/eia_2282015/HTML_June%202015/Top%20Index.htm
- Planning Department (2018), Hong Kong Planning Standards and Guidelines. Chapter 8-12. Retrieved from: https://www.pland.gov.hk/pland_en/tech_doc/hkpsg/
- Transport Department Road Safety and Standards Division (2020). Junction Blacksites of 2020 First Quarter. Retrieved from: https://www.td.gov.hk/filemanager/tc/content_2042/junctionblacksite_internet_chi.pdf
- Transport Department (2020). Monthly Traffic and Transport Digest 2020. Retrieved from: https://www.td.gov.hk/en/transport_in_hong_kong/transport_figures/monthly_traffic_and_transport_digest/2020/202007/index.html
- Transport Department (2019). Road Traffic Accidents by District Council District and Severity in 2019. Retrieved from: https://www.td.gov.hk/filemanager/tc/content_4994/fig2.6c.pdf